Durham, NC: wild night of action against police violence

Sunday, January 19, 2014, more than 120 people demonstrated against the police in the streets of Durham. November 19, Jesus Huerta, aged 17, was killed by a bullet in the mouth while he was handcuffed in the back of a police car.

Although a vigil in his memory has been called by religious (with a lot of calls for social pacification) in the evening, the march to the police station the 5th district on Rigsbee Avenue held a few hours before was an expression of collective anger against cops: many of their cars were tagged and their windows smashed, others have received ketchup on their cover. When arriving at the police station, the crowd began to cagouler and left few traces of rage on the facade.

Durham, NC: Third Anti-Police March for Chuy Huerta Attacks Police Substation


Another vigil and march for a Durham teen who died while in police custody in November ended with more arrests as the frustration with the Durham Police Department continues.

Six people were arrested Sunday on charges of unauthorized entry and assembly in a city-owned parking facility, and resist, delay and obstruct, police said. Police said about 120 people marched to a police substation on Rigsbee Avenue, where they broke windows, spray painted police cars and covered another police cruiser in ketchup.

Police said many of the marchers donned masks as they approached the District 5 substation on Rigsbee Avenue.

Four adults were arrested on charges of unauthorized entry and assembly in a city owned parking facility and resist, delay and obstruct. Two juveniles were also charged with the same charges but released to their parents.

No arrests were made for the vandalism, police said.

The march was for 17-year-old Jesus Huerta who died Nov. 19, 2013, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the mouth while he was handcuffed in the backseat of a Durham police cruiser.

Since that night, Huerta’s death has been a lightning rod of controversy and debate. And just this week, a final report from Durham police, along with text messages between Chief Jose Lopez and the city manager, concluded that the 17-year-old was not searched properly when he was arrested.

3rd march for Huerta turns violent following peaceful vigil

by WNCN Staff



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s